You might be finding yourself tucked safe at home right now and not be able to get to your newborn session for a few weeks. (Don’t worry, once we can – I have photographed many older newborns!)
Here are a few tips for taking some yourself with your phone or camera at home until we can meet.
1. Choose a room with neutral and light colors. White, light grey, light beige walls are ideal so that light bounces and you don’t have any color casts on baby’s skin.
2. Choose a room that has great natural window light (open blinds and curtains) with lots of indirect light coming in. You don’t want the sun directly shining through the window (you’ll see harsh shadows on the floor). Turn off all other lighting.
3. Swaddle baby in a white, cream, or other very light colors, soft swaddle.
4. Turn on white noise and make sure the room is warm.
5. Place baby on a neutral piece of furniture (ottoman, sofa, your bed – cover with a white blanket if needed ) or a bean bag covered with white blankets and position your baby somewhat perpendicular to the window, and then ideally tilt their head to “11 o’clock”.
You can also hold your baby in your arms looking up at you, parallel to your window and have your partner stand and take a photo of you from the side, shooting into the window light like below.
7. Position yourself above baby, and try not to shoot “up their nose”. Tap the screen where you want to focus (eyes/face), brighten the image, and take a picture.
8. Move yourself around your baby, grabbing different angles.
9. Don’t put yourself between your light source (your window) and baby.
See more angles and newborn images in this NEWBORN SESSION.
10. If you are a current client, I’m happy to edit a couple for you just email them to me! If editing yourself, GO LIGHT! No crazy filters needed on your sweet little babe. If the light is good and you followed these steps you should only need to possibly adjust exposure, contrast, and white balance (ie: do whites look white? If they are looking blue, or yellow, WB needs to be adjusted).
Clothing above is borrowed from the studio wardrobe and is available to all clients; including over 100 dresses for moms and shirts & sweaters for dads from BHLDN, Doen, Free People, Anthropologie and more. Hair and makeup is available at the studio for all sessions.
Jenny Cruger Photography is a Nashville TN Newborn photographer and also specializes in maternity, family, and baby sessions in the Nashville area, including Franklin, Brentwood, Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Thompson’s Station
If you are looking for a Nashville TN newborn photographer I would love to begin planning your session in my downtown franklin, tn studio or field. With almost 10 years specializing in my favorite ages of tiny humans, maternity, newborn, and young families and I would love to work with yours! To see more of my maternity & newborn portfolio please click over here and get in touch if this is something you would love for your family!
After my hosting company lost my entire website of 8 years in 2018, this little piece of the internet is fairly new, so I would be happy to show you what an entire gallery looks like while this new space receives more and more content including older sessions mixed among new sessions! I feel strongly that potential clients are able to see many full galleries of real sessions so you know exactly what to expect from your portraits as well! If you are interested in a custom portrait session with Jenny Cruger Photography and would like more information, please click here to learn more about me and this experience.
If you would like to reserve your newborn session on my calendar please click on contact in the menu or below or email me directly at email@example.com
Sign up for my newsletter